We all tend to take our feet for granted until a foot or ankle problem has us seeking help from our foot doctor. In fact, three out of four people have foot, ankle, or heel pain and discomfort that they are neglecting, so be sure to make an appointment with your foot doctor.
1) Your feet have the thickest skin—The skin on the ball and soul of the bottoms of your feet is the thickest of anywhere on your body. This helps provide cushioning but also creates problems with heel calluses and cracked heels.
2) The record for the world’s largest feet—a Venezuelan man named Jaime Hernandez is in the Guinness Book of Records for having size 26 feet, which are over sixteen inches long.
3) A “feat” of engineering!—Each foot contains over 100 muscles, tendons, and ligaments, 26 bones, and 33 joints, so your feet are truly a magnificent example of natural design and engineering.
4) Toenails grow more slowly than fingernails—Surprisingly, your toenails grow at a much slower rate than your fingernails. In fact, toenails grow only about 1/16th of an inch per month but your fingernails can easily grow three times faster, especially during the summer months and during pregnancy.
5) Your feet absorb a huge amount of pressure every day—Your feet absorb hundreds of tons of pressure every day.
If you have a foot or ankle problem that you have been neglecting, make an appointment with your foot doctor! Dr. Scott Nelson of Foot and Ankle Medical Clinic in Garland, TX (county of Dallas), is a board-certified and highly experienced podiatrist who has helped people suffering from all types of foot and ankle injuries and deformities. From bunions, to diabetic foot problems, sports injuries, and fungal nails, you can trust that Dr. Nelson and his staff are wholeheartedly devoted to your foot health. Please contact our office with any questions you may have or to schedule an appointment by calling 972-414-9800.